Monday, November 3, 2014

1989

It seems I've barely been able to find time to blog lately with homework and the play! Now that it's finishing up, I found some time today to talk about 1989.


Overall I really like it and cannot help noticing how Taylor is weirdly on par with my life. First, she releases an album and single covers with polaroids after I decided to buy a polaroid camera. Then, she released "Welcome To New York" a week before the album came out, and I've recently decided I want to live in New York someday...  

Here is my track-by-track breakdown (with links to my favorites): 

1. Welcome to New York 7.5/10
This is a great opening track. Lyrically not amazing but it's really catchy and fun to dance to. 
2. Blank Space 9.5/10
Either this or Wildest Dreams is the best on the album. It reminds me of a mix of Lorde and Avril Lavigne. It's super catchy but also very well written.
3. Style 8/10
I like the beat at the beginning- it sounds like a fashion show. I'm assuming this will probably be released as a single sometime. I like the message of this song- it's kind of like "it's over but we had fun together and I'm glad we got to be together for a little while." 
4. Out of the Woods 8.5/10
I wasn't crazy about the repetitive chorus when I first heard this, but lyrically it's very strong and I love the instrumentation and the overall feel. 
5. All You Had To Do Was Stay 6.5/10
This song was a little eh at first, but it's grown on me. It gets stuck in my head. Still, it doesn't really stand out on the album to me.
6. Shake It Off 8/10
Love the message of this song and I think it made a great first single! 
7. I Wish You Would 6/10
Probably the weakest song on the album in my opinion. I like the bridge, but the timing of the chorus is a little weird. 
8. Bad Blood 8.5/10
LOVE this song. The lyrics are nothing too original, but it stands out just because it's rumored to be about Katy Perry. I think it's funny because it kind of sounds like something she would sing. It's super catchy and a great upbeat workout song. 
9. Wildest Dreams 10/10
I think this is my favorite song on the album. It sounds a lot like Lana Del Rey but a better version. 
10. How You Get The Girl 7/10
This is a really fun, classic pop song. I loved the preview when I heard it in the Coke commercial, but   when I heard the song itself I realized the little clip was basically the best part of the song. Good, but not great. 
11. This Love 7.5/10
The slowest song on the album and probably the most boring, although it still sounds nice. I wish they put You Are In Love from the bonus version in place of this because it's a little more interesting. I think I would like this song more if I could personally relate to it. 
12. I Know Places 9/10
This is a really interesting song and the darkest on the album. I think it's about hiding from the paparazzi, which is an interesting subject choice for a song because Taylor never writes about anything her fans wouldn't be able to relate to. Either way, I don't really care because it's still a great song.
13. Clean 8.5/10
Tempo is slightly boring but lyrically this is absolutely the best on the album. I personally find this song the most relatable. 
Bonus Tracks:
14. Wonderland 9/10
I've been in love with this song the past couple of days. I think it's really creative and I love the mix of dark and light sounds. 
15. You Are In Love 9/10
I wish this would have gone on the album because it's seriously one of the best love songs I've ever heard! I love the instrumentation and just the overall sound... it sounds like the perfect song to play at night, in the car, with the person or people that you love.
16. New Romantics 7/10
A lot of people are really obsessed with this song but I'm personally not really into it. I LOVE some of the lyrics, but others are a little cringe-y, and sometimes the beat reminds me of something they would play in Forever 21 and I hate the music they play in there.


Well, there's my review!! So far she's released Shake It Off and Blank Space as singles... she'll need 3 or 4 more, so I REALLY hope she does Bad Blood and Wildest Dreams. Apart from those two I'm predicting she'll maybe do Style and How You Get The Girl. Welcome To New York, Out of The Woods, or even New Romantics could be possibilities as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

What did you think of 1989?


xo Signe

2 comments:

  1. I adore 1989 and my favourite songs are blank space and wildest dreams too! :)
    - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete