Thursday, July 17, 2014

parents are just people

I love my parents. I'm lucky to have some that have taught me proper common sense. But you know what phrase I hate? "Do what your parents say, you will grow up to realize they were right all along." 

You're not a mini version of your parents. You will grow up to realize their viewpoints but it's not guaranteed you will have the same one. Your parents aren't God, and they're just NOT always right. They're people and people do stupid things sometimes. In addition, their parenting styles are their own, and there's many different ways to be a parent. A parenting style is a viewpoint, and when you grow up into a person just like them then you will have your own views on parenting. It's not a matter of "realizing they are right." There's not a right way to be a parent. 

A lot of adults have a tendency to lump together teenage behavior and the thoughts of a developing personality. No, actually, I'm not trying to "rebel" against my parents, I just literally do not agree with some of their social and political viewpoints, which I've approached and analyzed from rational angles. Don't try to tell me that it's because I'm a teenager and I'll think like them when I grow up because I won't. We're different people. 

In fact, the phrase "always do what your parents say because you'll realize they're right one day" can be downright offensive to kids who have bad parents. No kid from a broken household is going to look back on their childhood when they're 30 and say "wow, I can see why mom smoked crack now" or "gee, now I understand why hitting your children is the way to go." Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

If I could tell something to young people, I'd make them realize that what their parents say isn't "right," it's simply just a viewpoint from a fellow human being. As you grow up, you are allowed to have a contrasting viewpoint. You should. It's how you develop your own personality. Of course, you have to do what you're parents say until you're 18, but guess what? You have full legality to disagree with them.


xx Signe

4 comments:

  1. I remember in high school, and even a little in middle school, when I was becoming aware that my parents weren't always right. Sometimes they were downright hypocritical. We would get into shouting matches whenever I pointed these things out, mostly with my mother. She would be so hard-headed and set in her ways she wouldn't listen to the fact that she was wrong. We have a much better relationship now, but I don't know what you could have said about it then.

    Theatricality by Mariah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be one of my favorite posts from you and I couldn't agree more with what you have said. As someone who disagrees with her parents politically, I wish people would understand that what they think is right, is really "a viewpoint from a fellow human being."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear!

    I love your blog :) I followed you, follow back? <3
    Have a nice weekend! ^^

    xx
    isa | http://stoerensexy.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete