Thursday, July 10, 2014

book review // Firefly Lane and PostSecret

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah


3/5

Firefly Lane is the story of two girls, Tully and Kate, who meet when they're 14 in the 70's, go to college together in the 80's, pursue their dreams in the 90's, and discover their true fates in the 2000's. 
I had mixed feelings about this book. Overall, it was a nice summer read, being a typical girly/romance/sentimental story. The writing really wasn't that great and it was a LONG and repetitive book, going on and on and on, but after you've read about the characters for that long it feels like you've grown up with them and you feel a special connection to them... and by the end I was like omg no and that's so sad just because I had read about them FOREVER.
Despite this not being a huge literary breakthrough, now I HAVE to read the sequel, Fly Away. Luckily I think it's shorter. 


PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions of Ordinary Lives by Frank Warren


4/5

PostSecret was originally a blog that Frank Warren started. He would have people mail in a postcard with an anonymous confession on it and then he'd publish it on the blog. Not only did people write their secrets on the postcards, but they also decorated them with drawings and photographs that represented their secrets in some way. The postcards are pieces of art. After his project became successful, he displayed a collection of the secrets in this book.
This was refreshing to read after Firefly Lane because I could read it in one sitting. I forgot how I found out about this book but I'm glad I did; it's really one-of-a-kind. I like how there's a note from a psychologist at the beginning, who explains how this project has helped people because it's encouraged them to let go of their pasts. The secrets in PostSecret range from funny, to sad, to shocking. Anyone that is human will enjoy this book- it reminds us that we're not alone. 



xx Signe






1 comment: