Thursday, April 24, 2014

the whole college thing..

Because I overthink everything and ponder the future, of course I've thought about college. I've been the only freshman at college fairs and the only person who's logged into the school "College Connection" website 7 times instead of the required 1. I have an account on College Prowler and blah blah blah. 
But the misconception here is that I'm some studious academic student (haha that sounds funny)...but I'm not. In fact, I don't even WANT to go to college! If not going was easier than it is, that would absolutely be my choice. 

I would be more willing to go if it wasn't such a commitment. I don't want to spend four more years waiting to accomplish what I want! 

Sigh. 

As far as what I want to go into...well, I could honestly go into like 10 things and be perfectly happy. At this point, I have narrowed it down to psychology, theatre production, and creative writing. I honestly just want to be a singer-songwriter, which I wouldn't feel it's necessary to get a major in, but creative writing and theatre production would help me with that. Psychology would be my "back up plan" but I don't even know because that is way too much commitment for a back-up plan! Should I just forget it altogether?... 

I just don't know if I want to go to college traditionally because it's safe, or just take a risk and pursue my dreams all the way. I don't have a doubt in my mind that I could do it, but it would definitely be looked down upon, especially where I've grown up. 

The thing is, college is NOT for everyone, and American culture tries to make you think that it is. It's ok to make a career unconventionally. When someone tells me "you should go to college," I want to punch them in the face! Who are they to tell me what I should do with my future? How are they supposed to know what's best for me? 

Another piece is that I have good test scores and could probably get into a "good" college somewhat easily. So that part of me is like, "well, I should take advantage of that." But then another piece is that I don't want to spend money and put effort into college if I only feel halfway about it. 

Well, writing this post was helpful.... it helped me to sort out my thoughts about this topic. This is why I like having a blog; I can express my thoughts AND get feedback. :)

Are any of you in a similar situation?


xx Signe

1 comment:

  1. Very true, I 100% know how you feel. I'm in the same boat right now.

    x itsleli.com x

    ReplyDelete