Wednesday, February 12, 2014

ways to get in touch with your body for better health

Awareness is often the key feature to good health. We have to listen to our body to know when we're hungry, off balance, or need to rest. Practicing yoga weekly has helped me to grow my intuition and apply it to my physical health. I thought I'd share with you all my tips for getting in touch. 


{breathe}

Focusing on the breath is one of the best ways to relax and make ourselves present. Each day, spend two minutes only focusing on your breath. Count four seconds breathing in through the nose, and out six through the mouth.


{balance}

An easy and amazing activity I do to practice balance simply involves standing. I place all corners of my feet flat on the floor and sway back and forth until I've found my center of gravity. This causes me to be aware of my body I NEVER do during my daily life. Once you've found your center of gravity, you can try repeating the exercise on each foot separately while the other foot is up against your leg in tree pose:




{stretch}

Our muscles NEED to be stretched! There are so many benefits to improving flexibility that we're not even aware of. Stretching for 5 minutes during the day can't hurt!


{sleep}

Most of us don't get enough sleep. And if we don't, it's much harder for our bodies to be in rhythm! Try to get as much sleep as possible. 


{eat}

Practice "intuitive eating"- eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full. Eating should be a pleasure, not a pastime, and it's a pastime for so many of us. The purpose of food is to fuel us, not to entertain us or fill an emotional void. Being tasty is just a bonus! 



Your well-being is composed of both the mind and the body, and I can guarantee that if you practice these things then you'll be on the way!


xx Signe


No comments:

Post a Comment