Thursday, February 20, 2014

be selfish



Giving to other people, whatever it may be, is beautiful and rewarding. But you MUST make sure that happiness is your #1 priority because at the end of the day, it's all you have.

I know people who could maybe give to others a bit more. (*coughs* my sister *coughs*) But as a person who struggles with letting others take advantage of me, I've had to set some boundaries. 

If you're one of these people, here are some important life rules: 

1. Give to other people ONLY if it's a rewarding experience for you. 
2. Relationships should never be one-sided.
3. You're allowed to say "no, I can't do that."
4. You're allowed to be self-indulgent once in a while. 
5. You're allowed to steal an opportunity before someone else gets it. 

I saw an awesome quote the other day that said "before I am your daughter, mother, or sister, I am a person, and I will not set myself on fire to keep you warm." 

That quote really hit me and made me think of something my pastor in church brought up on Christmas a few years ago. He talked about this thing called JOY and how it helps you get your priorities in the right order: Jesus, Others, You. 

Now that I've taken a few years to process that, my answer is NO. That's all wrong. It's one of the reasons (warning: controversy) that I disagree with the Christian religion and many other religions; so much of it is based on "giving up your soul" for Jesus or whatever. The next part, Others, is just unhealthy. By the time you've put energy into Jesus and Others, you wouldn't have any left for yourself. 

Life is about discovering and creating yourself. Not anyone else. You are not responsible for anyone else's needs, well-being, creation, or discovery unless you want to be. 


xx Signe

2 comments:

  1. I agree. There is only a certain extent you can put others first before you start to suffer. If you're not taking care of yourself, you need to be rethinking priorities. It's important to let yourself come first sometimes, just not all the time.

    ReplyDelete