Thursday, January 2, 2014

recent movie viewings

I've watched two movies recently and I thought I would comment on both of them.

one // The Bling Ring


I liked this movie. I thought Emma Watson did a phenomenal job and depicted the character very accurately. 
For a brief synopsis, The Bling Ring is based off an actual group of teens known as "The Bling Ring." In 2008 and 2009, they broke into celebrities homes to steal designer clothes, shoes, and drugs. Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox, and Orlando Bloom were among the celebrities that were robbed. 
What I thought was interesting about this film is that it would have been perfect as a satire, as a way to criticize American teens and the Hollywood lifestyle. Except it actually happened. Nevertheless, the film acts like a satire in the way that all the characters are static and the teens ridiculously do not learn anything from the experience, implying that the reckless events of Hollywood are still, and will continue to be, and ongoing issue. 


two // Saving Mr. Banks


To be honest, the only reason I saw this movie was because my mom made me. It wasn't a horrible experience, but I wouldn't say it's a movie I'd want to watch again.
Basically, this movie is about the production and creation of the movie Mary Poppins and the author of the original novel's struggle to accept it. A large portion of this film follows the author's childhood and how the story came to be.  
It was a good story, but I didn't necessarily like the way it was carried out. It took me until almost the end of the movie to actually figure out what was going on. I kept expecting some kind of explanation or change to happen and it never did. There really was not much of a climax, and if I had to identify one, it would be fuzzy. The one thing that bothered me about this film was the author's behavior. She was obviously extremely rude and cold the entire movie. I think you were somehow supposed to feel sympathy for her, or at least find humor in it, but I did not at all. Her childhood and past was supposed to explain why she acted like an awful person, but living an awful life doesn't entitle one to acting that way! 
The one thing I did appreciate, however, was that the dynamics of the character were not exaggerated. It would have been predictable if she opened up slowly throughout the movie and became a fun-loving person by the end. I think it was much more realistic to end the movie with evidence that the author was finally on the right track to being happy. 


Have you seen either of these movies? What did you think?

xx Signe


7 comments:

  1. I actually wanted to see Saving Mr. Banks, I know the author hated the Disney version and made sure they wouldn't try to adapt any of her other stories. I'm not sure if I want to watch it now, I love the Disney film so much and I think knowing how much she hated it portrayed in a film might ruin it for me.

    http://daisychainprincess.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice*
    Maybe we follow each other !?
    Let me know if you follow me & i´ll follow back :)

    Greetings <3
    pequenaflordemaracuja.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how, after all these years, there's suddenly all this talk about the writer of Mary Poppins. There was a documentary on TV the other week about this.

    IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently bought The Bling Ring - I was a bit sceptical but I can't wait to watch it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the first person I know who liked the bling ring! And I still really want to see it (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to see both of these movies! I think I saw The Bling Ring on Netflix the other day, so I plan on watching it!

    x
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen either but would like to see both. We are going to Disney World next month, so maybe I'll watch Mr. Banks (and Mary Poppins!) to get in the mood :) If The Bling Race is on Netflix then I will probably watch it next time it snows...sooooo, like tomorrow ha!

    jess | Quaintrelle

    ReplyDelete