Thursday, December 12, 2013

REMEMBER WHO THE REAL ENEMY IS.

*Contains spoilers*

Over the weekend I saw Catching Fire. The Hunger Games was good- it was intriguing, full of action, and overall a good story. But Catching Fire was different in the way it was very moving. The Hunger Games didn't leave me emotional but Catching Fire definitely did. I picked up on many symbols throughout the film that were very inspiring- there was a theme that actually meant something, which The Hunger Games seemed to lack.  

Three parts in the movie really stuck out to me. 

one // Katniss's wedding dress




The transformation of Katniss's wedding dress was genius. In the first film, when Katniss went onstage before the Games, flames appeared under her dress when she twirled, hence the name "Girl on Fire." But this time, she wore her dress onstage (the one she was supposed to get married to Peeta in) and when she twirled, the flames appeared and burned off the wedding dress, revealing a Mockingjay-themed dress. This was a really excellent symbol of how Katniss was "burning" her reputation as a product of the Capitol and transforming into the face of the Revolution. I could also really connect this concept to feminism. The way Katniss diminishes what sets her apart as a woman and reveals what's underneath is an excellent representation of how a hero is a hero regardless of what they look like.       


two // "The odds are never in our favor."


If you've seen the first Hunger Games, then you know "May the odds be ever in your favor" is kind of the signature tagline. The significance of this graffiti on the wall didn't stick out to me until the end. It is a bit of a foreshadowing of the next quote...


three // "Remember who the real enemy is."


At the end of the movie, Katniss sees Finnick looking for her and she draws her bow. She is reluctant, as they're allies, but she knows she'll just have to kill him eventually. Finnick sees her and just says, "remember who the real enemy is." Katniss then realizes what she has to do. Trying to kill the other tributes will do nothing because it sinks in that she's already learned that the Capitol will just find a new way to torture her. (This is when I realized the significance of "The odds are never in our favor.") So she wraps wire around her arrow and points it at the sky, destroying the invisible wall that is surrounding the arena when lightning strikes and stopping the 75th Hunger Games.

When the claw thing comes down to pick up Katniss and bring her up to the airplane thing, I thought it would have been an excellent place to end the story if she just died right there, not even in a sad way. When Katniss rises up in the flames, knowing that she just destroyed the Games, it's very glorious. I think it would be even more glorious if she was dying, knowing that she changed everything in her life and nothing would ever be the same again. It felt right to have the screen fade out.....but then of course, she woke up gasping with an oxygen mask on. 


I think Catching Fire was more emotional than The Hunger Games because it's more relatable. It becomes less of a fictional dystopian universe and takes on the identity of a symbol of the real world. All the events that happen in it have not happened and probably won't, but they represent things that do happen with the same emotions and outcomes attached to them. I love that quote, "remember who the real enemy is." It encourages us to stop fighting people for the benefit of ourselves in a certain situation and look at the bigger picture, enabling us to fight off the thing that is causing these bad things to happen. We're always fighting another person, another country, another organization. Why can't we be fighting injustice and inequality? Perhaps, in the end, this is supposed to teach us something. Most of all, I think this film is supposed to be uplifting and suggesting hope. 


What did you think of Catching Fire?

xx Signe


19 comments:

  1. I couldn't read this yet because of the spoilers but I can't wait to see this ..<3

    Leeannelle | Fashion and Beauty

    ..x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo excited to see this! I have recently found you blog and I'm glad that I did. I'm your newest follower and really look forward to more posts from you. If you like, please check out my blog as well at www.ourlondonwardrobe.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see catching fire so bad it looks amazing and I loved the first film!
    http://thelipstickthegirlandherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed it too, so much better than the first! I'm looking forward to the next installments already! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. really in love with this movie
    <3

    xx
    samecookiesdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can't wait to watch this! Great post!! ;)

    Feel free to visit my blog as well! You will find topics such as health, NYC fashion, personal growth and motivation between others! <3

    Diana
    www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Outfit Idea Post: Soft Torn Tones

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review!

    I recently watched this film after much anticipation. Loved every second of it and I felt it really portrayed the book well.

    :)

    www.oddsandsodz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post ! Love this movie !! would you like to follow each other dear :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your visit and nice comment:)
    An interesting blog!
    I realy would like to follow your blog;)
    Sylwetta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post :)


    Greetings from Polish

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the effect on her dress in the first movie, can't wait to see them in the second one now too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore the Hunger Games books so when it became a movie I was so excited! I thought the first movie was entertaining but the acting was not the best. Catching Fire was definitely more emotionally tangling, and the acting was perfection! I can't wait for the third one now!! :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really, really loved this film! Preferred it to the first one. I loved your last paragraph- it is so much more meaningful then just entertainment! x
    thegirlsnextdooruk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a really great summary/review of the movie. I really enjoyed it myself, although i've never read more than a few chapters of the books.

    I'd love if you check out my blog as well: afashionneverland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post!! I haven't seen it yet, but I've read the books and I must say, the book is very in depth about what the symbols mean, so if the movie is true to that then no wonder why it is popular. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catching fire is one of my most favourite films ever it did the book so much justice and the acting was incredible I cant even describe.

    daisieblogs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh I haven't watched Catching Fire yet as I don't have time now but I've watched Hunger Games a lot of times. I love your review here, it makes a lot of sense and I like that you really analyzed the moral of this story. :)

    REAlity Bites

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the fashion in the movie but the idea of the movie is so sad...I like it but I walked out of the movie very sad....
    I like your post
    Cool blog
    thanks for visiting me
    XoXo
    Patinka
    patinkasworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete