Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dealing with haters

Ohh haters...

Some of us get them more than others, but I can assure you we will all get them sometime in our lives. You may know I went through a major bullying/social drama, but aside from that I've always just kind of had those "general" haters.

In middle school, I wasn't popular at all and was kind of in a position to be made fun of. I dressed differently, was quiet but very expressive when people talked to me, and wrote songs and sang them. Since people are immature in middle school, they made fun of me every time I put myself out there.

When high school started, all of that disappeared. The popular kids from my middle school discovered they weren't as cool as they thought they were and kind of fell of the radar when other kids came into the picture. In high school, I discovered that doing something different, something that will get you noticed, is considered "cool."

But then, I realized some people never change....a few weeks ago, my middle school haters- the "popular" people- returned. At that point I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that a whole year had gone by in a completely new environment and here they were, still coming back to do this.

Luckily, they were mostly still ridiculing my music and not me as a person. Even though I didn't like it, it made me feel like a legit musical person ha ha ha cause they said things like "you sound like a dying walrus."

Anyway, I think the most important thing to do when you're getting hated on is to not insult them back. I think this just makes you hypocritical and you'll leave behind a greater legacy if you are the bigger person. I think the best way to fight haters back is to prove them wrong without saying anything insulting to them directly. In my case, that will hopefully be becoming a successful musician!

How do you deal with haters?

xx Signe

2 comments:

  1. Signe,
    Keep your chin up!! I know it sounds cliche, but people usually make fun of others they are jealous of. You have to constantly remind yourself you are much more talented and much smarter than the haters. And if it helps, play Taylor Swift's "Mean" on extra loud volume in your room haha
    Xoxo
    Vina
    theprettyinprep.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vina! And yes I love that song haha!

      Delete