Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Unplug

It recently hit me that in the past few months, I've been using electronics WAY too much.

I'm always on my phone or the computer. There's literally nothing else more I do in my house! Now that it's summer and I'm going to be in my house a lot more, I need to change my habits. 

Here is my plan for doing that this summer:

1. Never take my phone out of my room unless I'm going somewhere. 
A major issue that I have is that my phone is so tempting when it's glued to my side all the time. And it always is! It's totally controllable though when I leave it in my room because then I totally forget about it. And if I get a new message then I'll still know because I'm very skilled at picking up phone vibrations throughout my house...yeah it's kinda sad...

2. Read!
I don't think I've read an entire book straight through for like a year. It's really sad because I used to have my little stack of books that I would read every single night before going to bed when I was younger. I really want to make reading a part of my life again! 
I've compiled a list of books I hope to read this summer:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald
A Year Without Autumn by Liz Kessler
Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel
Looking For Alaska by John Green
I Wrote This For You by Jon Ellis

I also have to read a book for school but I probably won't start it until early August.

3. Find other things to do in my house.
These things could include...
...playing guitar
...writing
...baking or trying new recipes
...knitting or sewing
...drawing/painting
...reading

4. Get out of my house more.
Even if I have things to do, my house gets boring after a while! I'm going to try to look for things to do outside of my house, like going to local festivals or farmer's markets. In addition, hopefully exercise will be part of my daily routine!

5. Be productive before using the computer or my phone.
This means doing any essential daily things I need to do, like cleaning my room or doing any homework for the summer class I'm taking.

6. Only allow myself to use the computer before 10 or after 7, and turn my phone off if I catch myself using it for more than 20 minutes at a time.
This way, I won't be missing what's going on during the day! It will be different if I want to get in to recording on my computer more, but if I'm not doing that then these will be the guidelines.

How are you planning to "unplug" this summer?

xx Signe


1 comment:

  1. Such a good idea! I know I'm beyond addicted to technology. But it's a waste to spend sunny days not enjoying the weather. :)

    http://between-friends-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete