Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tips For Good Skin




I have to say that I have pretty good skin. But if I don't take care of it, it gets bad. If I don't wash it often or exfoliate, then I get weird tiny bumps on my cheeks and it just looks gross. But generally, my skin is nowhere near oily and I've never had a major problem with acne. I'd say my skin type is normal, but as I get older it will probably be closer to dry.

I like washing my face because if I don't, I feel disgusting. I used to only wash it when I took a shower, but towards the end of 7th grade I started washing it every morning and every night and my skin has looked MUCH better.

Here's what I do to keep my skin healthy:

1. WASH. IT. Twice a day is ideal. Sometimes I skip at night if I'm really tired, but I can't go to school with my face looking gross! But really, if you develop a good washing routine, most of your skin problems will probably disappear. It's also important to wash off your makeup before you go to bed. Washing it twice a day keeps it smooth and glowing. However, don't wash it any more than that. Washing your face multiple times a day will dry out your skin, making it produce MORE oil than necessary. I use Neutrogena's deep clean cleanser.

2. Moisturize. Moisturizing is very important because it keep your skin looking fresh, glowing, and hydrated. I only moisturize in the morning to avoid my skin getting too greasy, but sometimes I do at night in the winter when it's extra dry. Use a moisturizer with an SPF! I either use a daily cream from Lancome or light tinted moisturizer from Neutrogena. 
     
4. Exfoliate. Because of the odd bumps that show up on my cheeks, I have to use a wash cloth every time I wash my face to get rid of them- and sometimes they still don't go away. Exfoliating is important because it gets rid of dead skin and oil building up on your face that could turn into acne. I use an exfoliating wash about twice a week.

5. Use a facial mask every so often. I use one about once a month, and it just keeps my skin in good shape!

6. Drink LOTS of water. 8 glasses a day is ideal. Water will keep your skin hydrated and not dull and lifeless. 

7. Have lots of nutrients in your diet. Supposedly people say that chocolate or junk food makes you break out, which really isn't true. But what IS true is that junk food doesn't have any nutrients in it, and your skin needs nutrients to stay healthy. It's important to eat lots of whole grains, protein, fruits, and veggies not only for your overall health, but for your skin- your blood will pump the nutrients to it. 

8. Don't touch your face or pop pimples! I am quite guilty of touching my face, but it's really not good to do because it makes it oilier. Popping pimples, besides the fact I think it's gross, will only make it worse and lead to a scar. 

9. WEAR. SUNSCREEN. I can't stress this enough!!!! Because I'm totally paranoid about skin cancer (or any health problem in general...) and have really fair skin, I put on extra strong sunscreen during the summer...and winter, because the sun is strong when we ski in Colorado. I burn pretty easily. During spring break of 7th grade, we went to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I was like "heyy, I should get a tan!" and put on little sunscreen. Within one day, I was burnt horribly EVERYWHERE. It's actually taken the past two years for the lines to fade...OH I think I have a picture....


Yeahh...not good...

Well, those are my skin tips! Pretty basic, but yeah...it doesn't take much to have healthy skin!

xx Signe






















No comments:

Post a Comment