Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Self-Control

I literally have NO self-control, and it's a problem!

I wish I had the ability to tell myself to get up in the morning and start my homework...well, I can tell myself, but I don't do it! I can't make myself do anything.

I'm so jealous of the people who can tell themselves what to do. I was talking to my friend about how it takes me about a half hour to get out of bed every morning, and she was like, "well, sometimes I'm tired, but I just have to tell myself to get up so I have more time." I'm like, how????

The other morning I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, when my sister came in to take a shower an hour before she had to leave. She's like, "Sig, get out!!!" and I'm like "calm down, you have plenty of time! I take showers like 20 minutes before I have to leave!" She replied, "Well, unlike you, I have standards in the morning."

Every day I tell myself I'm going to start my homework right when I get home, but it usually ends up being at like 8, if I do it at all...on good days when I actually get motivated, I start at like 6:30. It's never really a problem for me because I can do my first and second hour homework in class, then I have a study hall third hour, so I do the rest of my homework for the day there. Still, I wish I could be ahead...

Another thing I wish I could control is my thoughts....I get uncontrollably distracted. I can be like "Ok Signe, time to focus!" then stare at the wall for 20 minutes straight without even being aware of it. Then I get mad, because I subconsciously just wasted 20 minutes. It's either I'm not focused at all or I'm TOO focused and my thoughts all go too fast! When I get really engrossed in an essay, my mind will start racing and my entire essay will literally flash in my mind before I can catch all the ideas. Ughhh. #signeprobs

I've come to the conclusion that I just have to accept this because it's a part of my personality. I attempt to deal with it in a couple of ways. First of all, I am medicated for ADD, but it doesn't cure everything. In a way, I feel like my "driftiness" makes me a more creative person and I like having a part of it there. But the most important thing I have to do when I am resisting what I have to do is to act before I think. I know you have probably been told the opposite of this, but I find it quite helpful for procrastinators! I spend so much time thinking about doing things and never actually do them. Whenever you are like "grrr I don't want to do homework" or "grrr I don't want to get out of bed..." just do it. Don't even think about it, just do it! Don't let your thoughts hold you back.


Do you have good self-control? What are your tips for motivation?

xx Signe

1 comment:

  1. Get the app Self Control! You can block certain websites or only have certain websites viewable and it really helps me get the job done ;)
    xoxo,
    cYa
    citrusandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete