Thursday, May 9, 2013

Realistic Metaphors

All my philosophical posts have been about the irony in things, and today I've found irony in something else...

Realism

(by the way, I'm going to be very uncomfortable writing my philosophical posts now that I know my mom is stalking reading my blog in attempt to get into my mind)

When we think of realistic things, we think of concrete details, the facts, something as close to reality as possible...

But I really don't think you can call this realistic if it's only ONE idea of reality. One person's dream is another's reality. Realistic paintings only depict one aspect of society instead of speaking true for the whole world.

So in a way...surrealism is more "realistic" to the whole world because surreal ideas include abstract concepts and morals that apply to everyone.

For example...

"He said he's never met one girl who // has as many James Taylor records as you // but I do, I do"

-Being Again, Taylor Swift

I love this song, but it's not as easy to relate to because it tells a very specific story. Some might say it's a fantasy.

"All the girls that you've run dry // have tired lifeless eyes // cause you burned them out // well I took your matches before fire could catch me so don't look now // I'm shining like fireworks over your sad empty town." 

- Dear John, Taylor Swift

...this is actually more realistic to me because everyone can interpret this differently.

This lyric could hit home for someone that's been bullied, has lost a friend, broke up with their boyfriend, or even been abused. That's the great thing about metaphors.

So yeah. That's all I have to say today. Hope you're having a lovely day!

xx Signe


No comments:

Post a Comment